Under the Dome: First 1/3 Notes
I am reading Under the Dome by Stephen King as a part of the Under the Dome Readalong (#Domealong), hosted by Natalie at Coffee and a Book Chick. Go here for more info!
So since I’m participating in this readalong, and because Under the Dome is such a huge book, I thought I’d write a few posts as I read. I’m kind of behind (the readalong only goes until July 27!), but I’m determined to finish.
**Please keep in mind that I have not yet finished this book, so please no spoilers. However, if you haven’t read this book, there will be spoilers for the first 1/3 of the book in this post. But if you have read the book, feel free to comment away about the things that happen in the first 1/3 of the book (up through the part titled MISSILE STRIKE IMMINENT).
I thought that I would simply share some of my notes so far in the book, so here they are:
- I’m pretty sure Barbie is supposed to be 30, but his POV makes him sound like he’s much older at times, especially in the beginning.
- Stephen King breaks the fourth wall a lot, talking to his readers. I’m not sure if I like that or not.
- I DO NOT like Junior and Big Jim. Which means they’ll be around for the ENTIRE BOOK.
- I think there was a bit of overkill with all the stories about people running into the barrier. It just kept going on and on and on.
- Bonus Points for the Get Smart reference!
- The Dome is 47,000 miles high??? Seriously???
- Seizures make me very anxious (see my DNF review of The Universe Versus Alex Woods). I hope there aren’t too many of them in this book.
- Romeo Burpee, for some reason, reminds me of Chris Tucker’s character in The Fifth Element. I have no idea why, because I don’t think he’s supposed to be like him or look like him at all…
- Wow. What a horrible scene for a Harry Potter reference (the “police” at Sammy’s trailer). I normally give Bonus Points for HP references but I don’t think I can for that one since it’s such a bad scene!
- Bonus Points for the Lost reference!
- So much racism/sexism/homophobia in this town!
- I’m very glad that theres’s a list of characters at the front of the book, because I’ve gotten confused at times. Although, it would have been nice if it was a complete list of characters, not just some of them…
- That radio station was creeeeeepy.
Lola ReadingJuly 14, 2013 at 6:23 am
I have a friend who ruined Bray's Gamma Doyle series for me. I was REALLY disappointed! I'm still on the fence if I'll read it or not, but I appreciate your feature! :)
BittnerJuly 17, 2013 at 1:18 am
What kind of friend would do that to you of all people!?!
And I'm very intrigued by this Harry Potter reference that was made in such a bad context that you didn't give points for it!