Mini Review: Spark (Sky Chasers #2) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Author: Amy Kathleen Ryan
Series: Sky Chasers #2
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin, an imprint of Macmillan
Publication Date: July 17, 2012
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction
Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancé? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her?
In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end… (Cover and synopsis from Goodreads)
I don’t want to say too much about this one because of spoilers, so I thought I’d just write a mini review for it.
What I Liked:
- Spark has all the same action and twists and turns that I loved in Glow.
- The characters become even more complex in Spark, which is another thing I love. Especially Kieran and Waverly–they both do some things that I really don’t agree with, but it really makes them very realistic and dynamic.
- The last 50 pages or so are SO suspenseful that I could not put it down. I could really imagine those last scenes in a movie.
- I really like that some things we kind of learned about in Glow were still a mystery in Spark, and hopefully in Flame, the third book in the series, those mysteries will be revealed.
- Favorite quotes: “Because whatever had happened to her on the New Horizon had pulled her downward, bent her back, hollowed out her eyes.” & “She longed for the time to come when she no longer mourned the loss of her old life, when she no longer cared so much about the future.”
fakestephMarch 8, 2013 at 12:23 pm
I always love it when a sequel is excellent.
Brandi KosinerMarch 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm
The action and characters are what make me want to read the 1st, and glad to hear that this one holds up.
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog
Megan TheBookBabeMarch 9, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Those are some great quotes! I haven't read the first book in the series, but it must be good if you continued it. ;)
I love dynamic characters, and I'm glad that you liked this one! The actions sounds great, and the mystery sounds pretty great too! Fabulous review, darling! (:
Megan@The Book Babe