Blind Reads (1): August 2012
Blind Reads is my brand new feature here at The Overstuffed Bookcase, where I read a book without knowing anything (well hardly anything) about it!
This is my very first Blind Read! I’m really excited about this feature, and while I’d love to explain all the details about my inspiration and how it works in this post, it’s a bit too long to add here. Go here to find out more!
It’s Our Prom (So Deal With It)
by Julie Anne Peters
What I Know
- It’s a Young Adult book. (I got it from the Teen section in my library. And while, yes, I realize that it could have been placed on the wrong shelf in the wrong section, there’s also a library sticker that says “Teen” on the spine.)
- The author is a National Book Award Finalist. (It says so on the cover, but I have never read anything by this author.)
- It was released in 2012. (Also found this out from a library sticker on the spine.)
- It’s going to involve the prom in some way. (Title is a dead giveaway, of course. But it might not be a traditional prom, or the characters might not even make it to their prom. But somehow, prom is going to be a factor.)
- The clothes on the cover are kind of ’80s-ish so I’m thinking either A) the main characters are into all things ’80s and decide to wear ’80s clothes to the prom, B) the prom has an ’80s theme, C) the book is set in the 1980s, or D) the main characters go back in time to the 1980s. I’m cool with any of these, but I’m really hoping it’s C or D.
- But I’m thinking it’s probably a contemporary book, so that would rule out D.
- The second half of the title makes the think the main characters have some kind of obstacles standing between them and their prom. Whether they can’t get dates and still go anyway, or their parents have grounded them, or they’re in trouble with the school so they’re not allowed to go to prom, or whatever, they have some kind of obstacles.
- I think it’s going to involve some humor, most likely sarcastic humor. The title seems a bit sarcastic, and my husband laughed when he read the synopsis (I didn’t read it, of course!).
- For some reason, I think it might be a mix of Footloose and Pretty in Pink. I’m not completely sure why, but the cover’s giving me that vibe.
So, what do you think? Have I picked a good one for this month? And remember, if you’ve read this book (or even know anything about it) please NO SPOILERS! The point of this feature is for me to go into it knowing as little as possible!
Be sure to come back later this month to see what I thought of this book, and if any of my theories were correct!